View 2013 Aquatics Brochure (PDF) for session dates
Parent Child Classes (6 months – 36 months)
This 30-minute class introduces safety awareness and provides an excellent opportunity to develop pre-swimming skills in a fun atmosphere. Parent child classes are geared towards children ages 6 months to 36 months.
Preschool Classes (3-5yrs)
All preschool classes are 30-minutes and are limited to 4 students per instructor.
For beginners who are leery of the water and cannot swim on their own. Children will learn submersion, blowing bubbles, kicking and floating on stomach and back.
For swimmers who can float on their front and back and can comfortably put their face in the water and can swim a short distance without support. Children begin to learn over arm paddle stroke, breathing, and swimming on their back.
For swimmers who can travel 15 feet without support on their front and back. Children begin to work on stroke development and increasing endurance.
Youth Classes (6-14 yrs)
All youth classes are 45 minutes long and are limited to 6 students per instructor.
These swimmers build confidence through basic skill development, learning to submerge, float, kick, and use a rudimentary paddle. The students also learn self-help and basic rescue skills. The objective of the level is to give students success with basic skills.
These swimmers are comfortable in the water and possess basic swimming skills of front and back floating, comfort with their face in the water. Children begin to learn the crawl stroke and the fundamentals of rotary breathing and treading water. The objective of this level is to build on the skills in Guppy by providing additional guided practice.
The intermediate swimmers are able to swim front crawl with rotary breathing 25 yards and possess comfort with the back crawl. There is more focus on the breast stroke, side stroke, butterfly and more advanced rescue skills. The objective of this level is for participants to gain endurance through continuing stroke development and to improve other aquatic skills.
These classes are 45 minutes long and designed for people aged 15 & up who are interested in learning to swim or gaining additional comfort in their current knowledge and abilities. Its never too late to learn!!!
These lessons are open to every age group and level of swimming ability. Private lessons are scheduled through each branch’s Aquatic department. Classes are 30-minutes in length and provide one-on-one interaction focusing solely on swim instruction.
Packages of 4 lessons are $70 for members and $105 for non-members. Private Lessons must have a 4-hour notice for cancellations.
Private Buddy Pack
These lessons are for two people who would still like more focused instructor attention. Packages of 4 lessons are $60 per person for members and $85 per person for Non-Members
Swim Lesson Policies
- Classes must be paid for in full at the time of registration.
- Classes where no one has registered will be canceled by 5 pm the day prior to the start date. * West Side registration may ONLY be done in person.
- 3 participants must register for a class to continue as scheduled. If only two participants register for a class, the class will meet 6 times instead of 8, or 5 times instead of 6. If only one participant registers for a class we will provide 4 30-minute, or 3 30-minute private lessons.
- Make-up days are provided ONLY if the YMCA cancels a class. THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR CLASSES OR SESSIONS NOT ATTENDED. The YMCA has discretion as to credits due to extenuating circumstances.
- In case of thunder or lighting the Pool will close. If these conditions occur please call your YMCA. If at all possible we will try to contact you prior to your lesson.
- Depending on availability registration for classes will end 48 hours before the session start date.
Open Doors Policy
The YMCA will not turn away anyone due to their inability to pay. Financial Assistance is available for all programs and membership. Open Doors applications are available at our Courtesy Counters.