The Weight Loss Program is designed to help people seeking a healthier weight achieve their goals by making small, modest changes to their daily behaviors and forming sustainable, healthy habits. Rather than advocate for specific or restrictive short-term solutions, this program helps participants build skills for successful lifestyle changes and empowers them to self-design their action plans.
How It Works
- Group-based program (8-16 people)
- Meets 1 hour per week for 12 consecutive weeks
- Participants weigh-in, track their food and physical activity, and create SMART goals each week
- Weekly discussion topics include creating a supportive environment, goal setting, balanced eating, physical activity, positive psychology and sustainability
- Participants are invited to engage in activities offered at the Y that support their weight loss goals every week
- This program is $50 for Y Members and $100 for Program Participants who are not Y Members; consider becoming a member today!
- Register now!
The program is for adults 18 years and older who desire a healthier weight.
What Makes This Different?
Three key characteristics differentiate the YMCA Weight Loss Program from other programs in the weight loss industry:
- It’s non-prescriptive. The program’s approach is to empower, encourage, and provide tools so that participants design their own plans to support their weight loss goals within the context of their lives.
- It uses the power of the group. The program is designed to harness the power of the group by encouraging group discussion, group learning, group sharing, and group problem solving.
- It seeks to change the definition of weight loss. Every day, individuals face prescriptive messaging on how to lose weight (e.g., meal plans, diets, gym equipment, etc.)—messaging that has created the perception that weight loss can be achieved only by finding the answer or solution “out there.” The Weight Loss Program challenges this perception and is designed to help participants understand that they hold the answers within themselves to achieve their weight loss goals.
Find A Class Near You
Classes for 2019 (January 21 – April 2):
- Cansler Y | Mondays at 5pm
- West Side Y | Wednesdays at 12pm
- West Side Y | Tuesdays at 5:30pm
- Downtown Y | Mondays at 11:45am
- Davis Y | Wednesdays at 1:30pm
- Davis Y | Tuesdays at 6:00pm
Future sessions will run August to November of 2019
More Health Management Programs at the Y
The YMCA of East Tennessee is dedicated to making healthy living accessible for everyone. Learn more about health management programs offered at the Y.