Healthy Heart Shirts
February is American Heart Month, a time when we can all focus on cardiovascular health. Purchase your long-sleeve Healthy Heart shirt from the Y for $10 and wear it to remind yourself to take care of your heart!
Easy Ways to Improve your Heart Health:
- Exercise: Aim for at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
- Hydrate: Drink more water daily, at least half your body weight in ounces.
- Manage Stress: Find a relaxing activity you enjoy like yoga or meditation.
- Limit Caffeine and Sodium: Both have a huge impact on your heart health!
- Monitor: Take your blood pressure regularly.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Excess weight increases risks of stroke, heart disease, and diabetes.
Heart Health Facts*:
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men, women, and people of most racial and ethnic groups in the United States.
- One person dies every 36 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease.
- About 655,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that’s 1 in every 4 deaths.
- In the United States, someone has a heart attack every 40 seconds.
- High blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and smoking are key risk factors for heart disease.
- Other medical conditions and common lifestyle choices put people at higher risk for heart disease, including: diabetes, being overweight or obese, an unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, and excessive alcohol use.
*All facts and data from cdc.gov.