Safety Is Our #1 Priority
The pool is a great place to have fun and exercise but the most important thing at the YMCA is your safety. In an effort to provide you with the safest environment possible, our staff attends mandatory monthly in-service trainings and is audited regularly. The Courtesy Counter has lifeguard evaluations and quick checks that provide a fast, easy and effective way for you to help us assess our guards.
Whistle blasts and what they mean
- 1 blast: lifeguard trying to get swimmer’s attention
- 2 blasts: lifeguard trying to get attention of a peer
- 3 blasts: CLEAR THE POOL IMMEDIATELY…Emergency situation!
YMCA Lightning Policy
- If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to be struck by lightning.
- We will ALWAYS clear our pools at the first sight or sound of an electrical storm.
- A mandatory 30-minute wait will follow the sound or sight of electrical activity. Please be patient. We will re-open our pool as soon as we feel it is safe for you to re-enter.
In an ongoing effort to provide the safest possible environment for our members and guests, please be aware that we conduct regular lifeguard audits. Many of these audits are realistic. These audits can alarm some children so please take the time to inform any members of your group appropriately. Do not be alarmed if you witness what appears to be a rescue. Lifeguards are highly trainedprofessionals. NEVER TRY TO ASSIST A LIFEGUARD UNLESS THEY SPECIFICALLY ASK YOU TO DO SO.