PEDALING 4 PARKINSON’S
WHAT IS PARKINSON’S?
Parkinson’s disease is caused by a breakdown in the nerve cells in the brain. The affected nerve cells do not produce enough dopamine, which affects your ability to move the way you want. Tremors, stiff muscles, slow movement, and trouble with balance or walking are all symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
In time, Parkinson’s affects muscles throughout the body, leading to difficulty with swallowing, digestion, facial movements and more.
PEDALING FOR PARKINSON’S MISSION
The mission of Pedaling for Parkinson’s is:
- To improve the quality of life of Parkinson’s disease patients and their caregivers
- To educate patients, caregivers, and the general public about the benefits of maintaining an active lifestyle after a Parkinson’s
- To support research dedicated to the prevention and treatment of Parkinson’s disease
Who can participate?
- Are 30-75 years old
- Are diagnosed with Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease
- Complete and provide a signed consent form and a medical clearance form
- Agree to periodically monitor progress
Parkinson’s patients with the following medical conditions are NOT eligible for this program:
- Cardiac or pulmonary disease
- Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus
- Uncontrolled hypertension or stroke
- Other medical conditions that make exercise dangerous
PEDALING FOR PARKINSON’S AT THE Y
This program is held at all of the YMCA facilities in the Knoxville area. Classes are held on individual stationary bikes.
When are the classes?
- West Side Y…………..Wednesday & Friday at 12:00 p.m.
- Davis Y…………………Mondays & Thursdays at 1:00 p.m.
- Downtown Y…………Tuesdays & Thursdays at 10:30 a.m.
- North Side Y…………Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m. and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m.
Call or email Chris Canges at [email protected] or (865) 637-9622 for information on upcoming schedule.
How much does it cost?
Classes are FREE for Y members.
For non-members, the cost is $5 per class.
How do I sign up?
Medical clearance and consent forms are available by emailing Chris Canges at [email protected]
Once you provide the completed forms, a staff member will contact you to schedule an orientation and initial class session.