American Red Cross Lifeguard Training courses are offered at The Y. Take your certification anywhere in the USA or apply for a job within you own local Y! Your lifeguard certification is valid for 2 years, and you must re-certify before your certification expires or you will be required to retake the full class. We offer multiple recertification classes throughout the year.
Y Members: $225/participant ($25 Non-Refundable Fee for Required Prerequisite Testing + $200 Lifeguard Course Fee)
Non-Members: $275/participant ($25 Non-Refundable Fee for Required Prerequisite Testing + $250 Lifeguard Course Fee)
Cost for Recertification: $100 for Y Members (Non-Refundable) / $150 for Non-Members (Non-Refundable)
Upon successful completion of the Lifeguard course, should you choose to work at any of the YMCA of East Tennessee locations as a lifeguard, we will refund your lifeguard course fee after six months of employment.
- 15 years of age on or before the final day of the course
- All participants MUST register for and complete an in-water swimming test before registering for the full lifeguarding course. The pre-test consists of:
- 300 Yard swim using the Front Crawl and Breast Stroke with Rhythmic Breathing
- 10 lb brick retrieval from deep water in less than 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Tread water for 2 minutes without arm support
- All participants MUST complete online learning prior to attending the lifeguarding course. The online learning will be assigned once the swimming pre-test has been passed. If the online pre-work is not complete before the start of class, the participant will unable to attend the course. The online learning takes approximately 8 hours to complete.
- Recertification class participants will be required to complete a pre-requisite swim test. For recertification, your certification cannot be expired for more than 30 days.
2023 Lifeguard Training Class Dates & Location
|Jan 21-22||Cansler (Re-cert only)|
|Feb 17-19||Davis Y|
|Mar 3-5||Pilot Family Y|
|March 13-15||Tennova Y|
|Mar 30- April 1||Cansler Y|
|April 15-16||Davis (Re-cert only)|
|April 21-23||Pilot Family Y|
|April 27-29||Tennova Family Y|
|May 5-7||Davis Y|
|May 18-20||Cansler Y|
|June 2-4||Pilot Family Y|
|June 15-17||Tennova Family Y|
|August 18-20||Pilot Family Y|
|September 15-17||Davis Y|
|October 5-7||Cansler Y|
|December 8-10||Pilot Family Y|
Register for Lifeguarding
To register for a lifeguarding class, find and register for the swimming pre-test for your desired class. After successful completion of the in-water pre-test, you will then be able to register for the full class and will be assigned online learning to complete independently prior to your class. Registration for the pre-test may be completed online, over the phone, or at the member services counter at your Y.
- Cansler Y: 865-637-9622
- Pilot Family Y: 865-690-9622
- Tennova Family YMCA: 865-922-9622
- Davis Y: 865-777-9622
Click the link below and find your desired program to Register.