American Red Cross Lifeguard Training courses are offered at The Y. Take your certification anywhere in the USA or apply for a job within you own local Y! Your lifeguard certification is valid for 2 years, and you must re-certify before your certification expires or you will be required to retake the full class. We offer multiple recertification classes throughout the year.
Cost: Y Members: $200/participant ($25 Non-Refundable Fee for Required Prerequisite Testing + $175 Lifeguard Course Fee) — Non-Members: $225/participant ($25 Non-Refundable Fee for Required Prerequisite Testing + $200 Lifeguard Course Fee)
Cost for Recertification: $80 for Y Members(Non-Refundable) / $105 for Non-Members (Non-Refundable)
- 15 years of age on or before the final day of the course
- 300 Yard swim using the Front Crawl and Breast Stroke with Rhythmic Breathing
- 10 lb brick retrieval from deep water in less than 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Tread water for 2 minutes without arm support
- Recertification class participants will be required to complete a pre-requisite swim test. For recertification, your certification cannot be expired for more than 30 days.
2021 Lifeguard Training Class Dates & Location
Register for Lifeguarding
To register for a lifeguarding class, find and register for the pre-test for your desired class. After successful completion of the in-water pre-test, you will then be able to register for the full class. Registration may be completed online, over the phone, or at the member services counter at your Y.
- Cansler Y: 865-637-9622
- West Side Y: 865-690-9622
- North Side Y: 865-922-9622
- Davis Y: 865-777-9622