Become a Water Watcher
Save a Life. Become a WATER WATCHER.
The Y is committed to raising awareness around the preventable tragedy that is youth drowning. Swim lessons are an essential part of keeping kids safe in and around the water, but there’s no substitution for parental or adult supervision. Often times when everyone is watching the kids, that means no one is watching the kids. There should always be a designated supervisor, especially when they’re around water.
Pick up a Water Watcher tag at your local YMCA, and pledge to be a Water Watcher. This means making sure all kids are being “watched” while in or around the water. Then, take the pledge!
I pledge to be a #WaterWatcher to keep kids safe in and around water.
I agree to:
- Actively watch all children in and around water
- Keep my eyes on the water
- Avoid distractions, talking on the phone or reading
- Wait to socialize or drink alcohol until I am off duty
- Keep a phone near water for emergencies
- Remain by the water until relieved by a new water watcher